1.National Taiwan ScienceEducation Centre period (1958-2003)
The former science education facility was completed in 1958, followed by thegranting of commemorative building in 1998. At that time the land was being administered by the Taiwan Forestry Research Institute, Council of Agricultureand the building by the Ministry of Education’s National Taiwan Science Education Centre
2.Transfer of control to theTaiwan Forestry Research Institute and monument status (2003-2007)
When the National Taiwan Science Education Centre moved out in 2003, control of thebuilding transferred to the Taiwan Forestry Research Institute, who began toplan a “Northern Biodiversity Exhibition Centre”. In 2005, due to amendments inCultural Heritage Preservation Act, there was no longer a “commemorative building”category. As a result, the Forestry Research Institute asked Taipei City Government to re-examine the case, and in 2006 the building was granted Taipei City Monument status.
3.Transfer of control to theCouncil of Cultural Affairs (predecessor to the Ministry of Culture)(2007-2008)
After the former science education facility had been granted heritage status, the Taiwan Forestry Research Institute gave serious consideration to its own lackof expertise in managing the monument. The Council of Cultural affairs expressed its intention to establish a Bureau of Cultural Heritage and its desire to assume control of the building. In light of this, across-departmental body was established to facilitate the task of transferringthe usage of the building, and after consultation with each department, in January 2007 the Executive Yuan officially agreed to pass usage of nationalland plot no. 65-7, on sub-section 5, Nanhai section in Zhongzheng District,Taipei and the buildings on it to the Council of Cultural Affairs.
4.Transferof control to the National Taiwan Craft Research and DevelopmentInstitute(NTCRI) (2008-present)
The Council of Cultural Affairs considered the fact that the above space would beincapable of accommodating the needs of Bureau of Cultural Heritage, MOC and itinstead sought out a former wine distillery site in Taichung in which to setup. Furthermore, the National Taiwan Craft Research and Development Institute affiliated with Council of Cultural Affairs has, over the past several years, successfully carried out its development plan for the crafts and creative industries, cultivating talents, extending its horizons, and expanding internationally; nurturing its own capabilities and receiving critical acclaim. With the NTCRI situated in Caotun township in Nantou in central Taiwan, if such resources and capabilities were displayed in Taipei, then undoubtedly there would be even more positive benefits to be had.
The Taipei branch was originally situated within an office building (occupying theninth and tenth floor of building number 20, Nanhai Road) with limited spaceand functionality. Therefore, there was a wish to use the larger space and favourable geographical location of the former National Taiwan Science Centerto help cement the Institute’s place as Taiwan’s most important artistic craftsmanship, creative and design hub.
The Institute unveiled aplan to renovate and restore the building for its future use as the National Taiwan Craft Research and Development Institute, Taipei branch in October 2007.In January 2008, the Council of Cultural Affairs agreed to transfer. In February 2008 the Executive Yuan officially confirmed transfer of the land and property to the Institute and in March 2008 the Institute took ownership of the land.